Stat Counter

Monday, February 21, 2011

My Maid Didn't Come Today and Jesus Doesn't Care!

My maid didn't come today! Actually, she hasn't shown up the last 18 years of my marriage. I am beginning to think she isn't coming! I keep sweeping, mopping, and washing . When is she going to get here? Might I also add that my chef, nanny, driver, and dog walker have also been MIA! All of those items have fallen onto my family and me as we seek to accomplish our busy schedules.

Sometimes people say to my husband, "Wow! It was like that sermon was just for me!" That is how I feel about Luke 10:38-42

Luke 10:38-42 (New International Version, ©2010)

At the Home of Martha and Mary (provided  by biblegateway.com)
 38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”    41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Do you ever wonder what is the epilogue of that story? Did Martha say, "Oh yes my Lord, let me sit at your feet and learn." Do you think she said, "Well! Tell little Ms. Lazy I wish I had time to sit at your feet, but I am busy taking up the slack!" The Bible doesn't  tell us Martha's reaction which leads me to believe the reaction isn't as significant as the fact that Jesus let us know listening and learning from him is more important than anything.

That word anything can be pretty big. You may be reading this right now and think... "yeah - yeah... don't rush... take time for Jesus... got it... now I gotta get on with my life." Let me tell you what I think anything means. It means ANYTHING. 

Let's try something today. When you read the verse at the bottom of this post and worship God through song, ask God to speak to you. Seek to LISTEN. Not with your mind, but with your heart.

Who do you identify with? I sadly confess I identify with Martha more than I should. How did Mary choose wisely? How did she know to do that? How can we make a point to be like Mary? Martha asked Jesus, "don't you care that my sister left me to do all the work by myself?" Jesus pretty much said, "no I don't." He loved Martha. He loves us, and because he loves us he doesn't care how clean the floor is, if it takes time away from him. He is more concerned with where our heart is than how much we do. Be still today and soak in and listen and discuss with God all he has for you. We all have things to do, and the most important thing is to spend time with God so you will be able to do... well... ANYTHING!

Psalm 46:10 "...Be still and know that I am God..."

posted on you tube. music by Stephen Curtis Chapman - Be Still and Know

No comments:

Post a Comment