Stat Counter

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Who Has Time for Christmas?

I was a 12 year old waiting for Christmas Eve dinner at my grandparents. My favorite uncle had flown in from California. He'd flown into Oklahoma City that morning and my mom and I took him immediately to the mall for some last minute present buying. Uncle Joel was the quintessential "fun uncle." He always had a present, a smile, and would play games with you when no other grown up would. I didn't think he was ever upset until I watched the evening news that fateful Christmas Eve.

The kids and a few others were in the den watching the 6 o'clock evening news. Just as they were about to sign off they said, "some folks are a bit bah humbug this year." They then flashed to a segment in the mall. There they had earlier recorded my uncle who said something along the lines of he couldn't wait for all this to be over. He was tired and he just wanted to rest! He had said it so cross. There was silence in the room and then we all burst with  laughter! We knew his heart. He loved Christmas it was just that getting there that year was a little harder than usual. We all went to dinner where he was lovingly teased the rest of the evening.

I must confess that I am glad no one is interviewing me this year.  I don't know what I would say. This has been a rough December. There is a rumor going around that December started 19 days ago, but where it has gone, I have no idea! This weeks forecast isn't much better. It promises to be partly cloudy in my brain with a 100% chance of extra services. I think if I were interviewed I might say something like, "Who has time for Christmas? I'm busy!" Parties, life events, shopping has kept Christmas at bay!

To all you who may agree with me, I have a warning. Beware of a very real Grinch, who is always trying to steal Christmas. In fact, he is always trying to steal, kill and destroy anything that has to do with Christ. This year is busy. We went from zero to sixty as we as a body of Christ kept the church going. There have been school parties and youth parties at my home. We just decorated our tree Friday and we always have it done the first week of December. Financial choices have come into play this Christmas and we feel grateful for what God has enabled us to do this year.

Who has time for Christmas? You do, and if you are like me you might need to be intentional about making time this year.Spend sometime in your prayers today pondering the mighty act of God coming in the flesh. He was born in a stinky stable, wrapped in strips of cloth, and placed in a food trough for animals. Think about how God told Isaiah 500 years before Christ would come, where and who and how it would all happen. Imagine being on a hill on a dark peaceful night (just like you had 1000s of times before) when all of the sudden BAM! Angels appear and tell you a lowly shepherd  that a baby has been born and he is Christ the King! That story only reinforces my belief that God not only has a divine plan, but a sense of humor as well.

One of my favorite songs is "Who Am I" by Casting Crowns. Who am I that the Lord of all the earth would care to know my name, and to come to save me? Merry Christmas to The King of Kings who gives the greatest gifts of all. First he came to earth, second he died for our sins and conquered death. I can't wait for his third surprise. I know his  return will be amazing and I look forward to celebrating the true meaning of Christmas for eternity.

Isaiah 9:6b "... and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counselor, the mighty God, the ever lasting Father the Prince of Peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment