Stat Counter

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

When Tragedy Strikes


The town of Bastrop is about 50 miles from my house. Texas has had severe weather this summer. We have had over 50 plus days of temperatures in the 100's with no real rain (maybe a ten minute shower twice all summer).  Dry isn't even the word I would use. Even some of the cactus and the palm trees have turned brown in the weather. The lack of storms became the perfect storm for the fires that have broken out.

This is not the only fire. Additional fires in two other nearby towns also destroyed over 200 homes. Bastrop has over 500 homes destroyed with 5,000 people displaced at this time. Also, my friend who lives in The Woodlands (a town near Houston 100's of miles away) is also dealing with fire near her home. My 10 year old son asked me yesterday from the back seat of the car if I thought the fires would come to San Marcos? I told him I didn't think so, but even if they did we would make sure everyone in our family was safe. I said our family's safety was the most important thing.

 I don't know if you have ever had a tragedy in your life. I have. Some tragedies stem from natural occurrences. Some are man made, and they range from fire to horrific moments that make one rebuild  life in one way or another. When people have tragedies I believe there are three specific things we should do to help.

The first is pray. Who does not have all the answers?... that would be me. I've said it before but please allow me to say it one more time... welcome to this ain't heaven... population the human race. Our imperfection sees something like the fires and the hopelessness and it makes us overwhelmed. So take your burdens and prayer requests to God. And PLEASE don't pray a wimpy prayer like,  "well God if you could see fit make this a little better, please help anyway you can... uh amen... I hope." When I had tragedy strike, it struck without warning. My prayers were in the aftermath. My need was great at that point and I yearned to have God lead me out of a very dark place. Pray for the person in a tragedy. Those fervent prayers (for me) took a while. People in need - need prayers from you on their behalf because they frankly may not have the strength to pray with the conviction they should.

The second thing we can do is to be sympathetic. Job's friends had total "street cred" when for three long days they just sat with their friend... and then they opened their mouth! They said all sorts of stupid things which mainly posed the question, "What did you do Job to deserve this?" Hey guess what not in heaven people? Sometimes bad stuff just happens to everyday folks. In addition, yes, all things do work to the glory of God for those who love him and are called according to his purpose. It is just that after a tragedy someone has not walked out the other side to see that glory yet. A friend of mine said that after the death of his son, someone asked him a month later if he was finished grieving yet?! What do you say to such stupidity? Last month my brakes needed to be replaced. 300 dollars later I was on the road... until the next day when my 500 dollar fuel pump also had to be replaced. I must have looked upset because the man across from me at the repair shop said, "Don't look so sad. I always realize there is someone else who is always worse off than I am." I thought, "Yes and you are looking at her." :)  He was right. I got my car fixed and drove back to my home. Yet, in times of great tragedy a hug, or listening to or sitting with someone are much more important than an answer. If you do have to say something I believe the most powerful thing you can say is, "I'm sorry you are going through this, and I am here for you." Listening and sympathy help people on a road to recovery.

The final thing you can do is act. Today a friend of mine from church sent out a text that a lady and her ten month old need clothes. Her home was destroyed in the fire. Christians need to ask, "what can I do?" When the 9-11 tragedy hit, I did not go to New York. I did give blood. I did send money to the Red Cross. When Katrina hit, Bay Area Fellowship flew bottled water to New Orleans. When my friend had cancer, I picked her children up from school for a while. Needs can be overwhelming. You are not a messiah, but you are called by the Messiah to be a light. Ask God what to do, and the Holy Spirit will be happy to guide you toward how you can make a difference. I believe folks see God through our kindness.

Be a bridge in helping someone walk from hopelessness to healing by serving God through your compassion.  

Micha 6:8 "He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.  And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.


No comments:

Post a Comment