Stat Counter

Monday, September 20, 2010

Which Way to the Exit?

Pardon me. Do you know the way to the exit? I would like to exit out of this crazy life for a day or two. I have four kids, one husband, two cats, and a labrador retriever. Clearly I am out numbered. I sent up a white flag a few days ago, but it got dirty and it was up to me to wash it. I love my family, but I really do need a break. I think if a grown woman can lose her car keys (both sets) within a two week period, and still not find either pair after hours of searching today, it is past time to cry uncle.

I have had this one fantasy for a while. Yes, yes it is a deep ... dark... yearning. Some say it is impossible because I am married. Some say it can't be done... because I should think of the children! Even others say that I should not neglect the poor animals. But I say, "BRING - IT - ON!"

You want to know my secret desires don't you? If I tell you, you too may want to escape and go crazy in this radical move I am determined to fulfill. Nevertheless, it must be said! Hold on to your hats for the crazy/ wild fantasy that lurks within me! My secret desire is to, BE STILL! Doesn't it just seem like the most insane party time around? All the moms just went, "Oh ya baby!"

Oh I've tried this at home, but it didn't work. You see I want to get away! A few weeks ago my husband was out of town on a trip. I decided that if I couldn't get away I would just be still in my bed. I would have no agenda. I would just be still and let God speak, or not speak. I would just be still and see what there was to this time of not doing anything. So, I spread out face down, praised the Lord and set out to just being still. My goal was to have no agenda just to listen. It was really going well for the 10 minutes of non-interruption in my life. All of the sudden there was a wiggle and I knew my four year old had climbed aboard my bed. I thought, "That's okay... I can still do this... wiggle-wiggle... ignore the wiggles even though you have A.D.D. ... be still... be quiet... hey, is that a foot in my side?! Oh forget it." And that my dear readers has been the extent of my stillness low these many weeks.

I can't escape the need. It is like nothingness is calling to me and I have to get over hurdles to get there. I know Jesus said we would always have the poor with us, but I think he should, or at least could have said we would also have the laundry, the dishes, the sports games, the meet the teacher night and the list goes on ... ALWAYS! Don't tell me it is a season! This season has lasted 15 years and while my high school student is 3 and a half years from graduation, my preschooler has one and a half years before he even goes to kindergarten! Don't get me wrong I love this season. Let's just say that I have no plans to rival the family that has 19 kids and counting. I don't watch the Dugger family, but that Bobby Joe Billy Bob is one great dad and I am pretty sure he would watch all 21 kids (including his daughter-in law and granddaughter) so his wife could go be still!

Still... I'm sorry, I know I have said it way too much, but I am obsessed with the notion. So, before you call my husband to either offer a free nights stay somewhere or a call to a psychiatrist; lets explore why it is so amazing.

Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God : I will be exalted among the nations, exalted among the earth." This verse reminds us that while there are times we need to taken action, there are also times we need to sit back and reflect on God's goodness. And what about Jesus?! He was always making the time to be still and pray. He had this still thing down! Even when the disciples feared for their lives during a storm, Jesus was asleep chillaxin in the back of the boat just as clam as can be. He just stood up and told the waters to be as still as he was!

Yes, I am on a mission to BE STILL! Won't you join me? If I could I would start a movement! We would all go to the Embassy "Sweets" Hotel in my home town because it is the largest one that could hold us all. We would all go promptly to our individual rooms and be still. We would emerge two days later with what only comes from such stillness!

Look, truth is Christ didn't go to the Embassy Suites (although I am not going to tell my husband that when I pitch this idea to him) :). He just made the point to get still in front of His Father God. It is clear that I just have to make the time. Sometimes you need more than an anemic quiet time. Sometimes you need full on 24 hours or whatever it takes. You will know what you need, and even if you don't just get still. It was that stillness that led me to this need. You might just need a verse, or a whisper (done that/ been there/ hope to have that today). I'm just glad to be in God's hands. I'm thankful to have my husband just walk in and hand me my car keys that he found on top of my car! Being still comes in many forms. Even in the form of others meeting your needs. I WILL HAVE THAT STILLNESS, but for tonight I'm going to go kiss that key finder of mine. And I am going to thank God that, for at least in one tiny corner of my world, I can exhale and have the peace of GOING in my car, and GOING back home to be still when all are in school sometime this week. I'll let you know how it goes.

What about you? What has God taught you in the Stillness?

Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God."

No comments:

Post a Comment